Thursday, February 17, 2011

Knock Off Wood Twin Trundle Bed


Last spring we started the process of building Handsome a bed. My husband and I decided to tackle the Farmhouse Twin bed from Ana White at Knock Off Wood. Then we decided to follow the extra steps in her plans to turn it into a trundle.
Building it was a long, long process, mostly because I'm a big chicken with power tools, so most of the actual building fell on my husband's shoulders and he could only work on it on the weekends. I did the finishing work, but he did the building (with some help from his pint-size helpers).
Our little guy was SO excited to finally get to try out his big boy bed! Unfortunately the grownups weren't quite so happy. You see, once we finally got the bed assembled up in his room, we realized that we should have selected a different bed as this is not an ideal bed for a small child whose bed needs to be up against a wall because, um, well, it doesn't exactly GO up against the wall. Our son could (and DID!) fit his entire body between the bed and the wall!
In this picture I have one pillow between the bed and the wall, but that is because I actually made his bed to take these pictures. You can see that the trim on the top of the bed plus the bed posts themselves make it impossible to put the mattress portion of the bed flush against the wall. Ugh. I really wish I had figured that out BEFORE we built the bed! Whoops!
At any rate, it looks pretty...especially when I make the bed! And, if you are wondering, his quilt is from Pottery Barn Kids and the sheets are from good ol' Target.

Come back later for info on the rain gutter bookshelves!

Linked to Show and Share at Just a Girl

7 comments:

Kristen said...

The bed is awesome but even more amazing is the walls! I love your paint!

The Mom I Want To Be said...

I love the bed! Maybe I can talk my hubby into building one in white for my daughter...He recently built this loft bed for my son: http://givinguponacleanhouse.blogspot.com/2010/10/ryans-awesome-new-bed.html
I think the memories of how time consuming it was are still a bit too fresh, maybe I'll wait a couple of months to show him your post :)

Ana White said...

This bed is just so beautiful! I love the color and the bedding!

laxsupermom said...

The bed is gorgeous! You did an awesome job making it! I think the "goof" will work out for you in the upcoming years when your son starts making his own bed. It'll be so much easier to tuck the bedding in on that side when the mattress isn't right up against the wall. Thanks for sharing.

Robin said...

Great job! I am in the process of building the same bed for my almost 2 year old.

I didn't think about the "gap" between the mattress and the wall either. I love the plan so I'll have to find a way to fill in the gap.

Did you have to modify the bed plan to make the trundle fit?

Anonymous said...

It is a great pleasure to visit your web site and to enjoy your wonderful post here. I like that very much. I think that you paid much attention for those articles, as all of them make sense and are very useful. Thank you for sharing. I can be very good reader & listener. Appreciate your work!

Anonymous said...

It was a beneficial experience for me to find this webpage. It definitely stretches the limits with the mind when you find very nice information and make an effort to interpret it correctly. I am going to look through this web site often on my PC. Thanks for sharing