Sunday, April 5, 2009

Lampshade Update

Although I like the lamps I have in my family room, I'm not a fan of the lampshades. To be honest, the budget ran out when it came to lampshades, so I settled for the most inexpensive white lamp shades that I could find. They're quite boxy and not at all my style, but they do the job.

Here is a picture of the lamp on my dresser/sofa table when I had it decorated for Valentine's Day. See what I mean? White and boxy!

I decided that adding some ribbon would help me like the shades a bit more...and it does! Unfortunately the pictures don't do it justice--the ribbon makes a big difference for me. I'm still not a huge fan of the shades, but the addition of the ribbon means that the purchase of new lamp shades has moved waaaaay down on my priority list.
I bought a spool of black grosgrain ribbon with white stitching for less than $2.00 at Michael's and hotglued it to my two white lamp shades. Much better!
Voila!

6 comments:

Shannon said...

That looks great! It makes a big difference!

Jessica said...

That DOES make a big difference! I love it. I'm getting ready to completely make over a lamp ~ as soon as I get my sewing machine back..ggrrr. I'll be sure to blog about it, though! ~Jess

Kimba said...

Yay! I love it! I have some lampshades that could use a little update. I'll have to give it a try.

Kimba

Jo said...

It's amazing the difference a little ribbon makes. Your "new" lampshades look great!

niartist said...

Wonderful transformation! Makes a great difference, and the perfect touch!

Christina said...

Love your "new" lampshade. Amazing what some cute ribbon will do to add a whole new and updated look to a shade.